Thursday, April 28, 2011

Better For You Creamy Potato Salad

I am happy to announce that I have finally fixed the technical issues which impede the progression of posts on this blog. Three days without blogging feels strange. Really strange!

Back to cooking, mum requested for a creamy potato salad for supper. If you can tell by now based on the recipes I have put on my blog for a while now, I am not a big fan of mayo. Yeah, they are good but I find it too rich. Yes, this from a girl who has no compunction eating a tiny scone with a cup full of clotted cream and enjoy every single bite of it. Mmmmmm.........

Creamy potato salad it is then. Though I warned mum not to expect a mayo laden potato salad. There will be some mayo but I am gonna make sure it is better for our health. This recipe is really easy and mum was pleasantly surprised at how good the potato salad came out despite the tiny amount of mayo I used.

Better For You Creamy Potato Salad
Ingredients
2lb yukon gold, white or red potatoes
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vidalia onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped

1/4 cup low-fat mayo or miracle whip
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp sweet relish
1 tsp Dijon mustard
black pepper to taste


Directions


Step 1: Washed potatoes and place it in a pan. Fill it with enough water to cover potatoes. Add in 1 tsp salt. Bring water to a boil then let simmer for 15 minutes or till potatoes are fork tender.

Step 2: Once the potatoes are done, drain potato in a colander. Cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let it stand for another 15 minutes. The heat from the cooking process will generate enough steam to cook the potatoes further.
Step 3: Peel the skin off the potatoes, if you wish. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix in mayo, sour cream, mustard, sweet relish, celery and onion. Mix well. Season with pepper.


Step 4: Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch chunk. Mix well with mayo-sour cream mix. I find it easier to use my hands to mix them up. It helps to avoid the potatoes from getting mashed. Let cool in refrigerator for at least an hour.



 Serve cold with grilled chicken, pork chops or steak.

6 comments:

  1. I love this cold potato salad. I always add some finely diced Spanish onions which I find adds beautiful flavour, colour and texture to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how well it will be with the diced Spanish onions. Will try that next time. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my god kids' favorite... they love cold potato salad. I make mine with parley and fried chopped garlic and mayonnaise and dijon mustard without sour cream. I must add some sour cream the next time I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try that next time. Fried chopped garlic with parsley. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Reese,

    Sorry I've been MIA lately. I've still been trying to catch up on blog reading after my vacation.
    This potato salad is perfect for my little ones. I'm all for feeding them anything healthy. Glad your Mom liked your more healthy version. Looks like you've got a keeper recipe here as moms are usually tough when it cones to their daughter's cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Le Quan: Welcome back! I've been MIA a little too due to some family matters. I absolutely agree with you. Mum is so hard to pleased when it comes to cooking. Please try this recipe and let me know how well it goes with your kids. Veronica has a good suggestion, by combining fried chopped garlic and parsley. I will incorporate that when I make the potato salad again next time.

    ReplyDelete