Monday, October 8, 2012

Grandma's Secret New England Coffee Cake Recipe

I have not been blogging for a while. Work and family commitment have been keeping me really busy for a while here. Sorry bout that.

To make it up to everyone, I thought, what could be better than to share some hand me down recipes which I obtained from my 89 years old grandma? Believe me when I say this is her secret recipe. I have never had her coffee cake ever...cos when I get to know her, (my hubby's grandma, really) she was 85 years old and had stopped baking at that point.


So, when grandma sold her house in New England to live full time in Florida, she thought of passing down all her recipes in her old cute recipe box to me, knowing how much I love old fashioned, trusted recipes. While I was browsing through her collections of cakes and sweets, this one stood out to me. And boy, was I good in spotting a good recipe from the pile.

The coffee cake came out rich, moist, buttery, and cinnamon-y! It was so good that I baked this cake three days in a row and it kept disappearing overnight. The best part about the recipe is that it only uses a stick of butter or 1/2 cup for the entire 12-inch cake, which is not too much if you have been baking for a while. Give this a try and I promise you will never buy another coffee cake at the store.


Grandma Glady's Coffee Cake Recipe (Makes 1 12-inch cake)

For the Cake Batter
1/2 cup butter or margerine (I prefer butter)
1 cup of sugar
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder (I use double acting)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream (use regular, not light)
1 tsp vanilla

For the Streusel Toppings and Fillings
1/2 cup of brown sugar, packed
1/2-1 cup of chopped walnut (I used close to 1 1/4 cup cos I love walnut)
1 tsp cinnamon powder

Directions
1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside. Preheat oven at 350F. Grease and flour a 10 cups tube pan (about 12-inch).
2. In your stand mixer or a bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla till well combined.
3. Add in flour, alternate with sour cream and mix till batter is well combined. (Batter will come out really thick)
4. In a bowl, combine brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon. Mix well.
5. Scoop half the cake batter into tube pan. Spread till you get an even layer.
6. Sprinkle half the streusel mix evenly onto the cake batter.
7. Top with remaining cake batter. Spread to get an even layer, enough to cover the streusel filling.
8. Top cake with remaining streusel. Sprinkle to get an even layer.
9. Bake for 40 to 45 mins. ( I usually set the timer at 40 minutes and check. It should be done by then.)
10. Rest cake for 20 minutes before removing from pan. Slice only when cake has cooled completely as it will crumble and fall apart if you give into temptation to slice the cake when it was still warm. 
(I know it is hard but please try)

No comments:

Post a Comment