Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Boiled Peanuts

The day the mood strikes and I bought some raw peanuts at the Asian store. Boiled peanuts it is. Come to think of it, boiled peanuts is one of the healthier snack that one can ask for. No preservatives or nothing. Sure, why not! If you are from Texas, you should be very familiar

Boiled Peanuts
Ingredients
3 lbs raw peanuts
1/2 cup salt
1 1/2 gallon water
1 star anise (optional)

Directions
Step 1: Wash the peanuts. Soak in cold water for 30 mins.

Step 2: Bring water to a boil in a pot. Place peanuts in the water and boil covered for 4 hours or till soft.

Step 3: Drained. Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. Reese

    I want to thank you for posting this recipe. I have had boiled peanuts before, and I did enjoy them!

    I now know how to properly prepare them myself! :)

    What is the purpose of anise? When do we add that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Catherine,

    The purpose of star anise in this recipe is to give the boiled peanuts a licorice after taste. I learned that trick when I visited China years ago. They put a star anise in their boiled peanuts which added another dimension of flavor to it. If you are not a fan of licorice,just omit the star anise all together.

    ReplyDelete