Monday, April 4, 2011

Asian Fried Fish Chips- Keropok Lekor Terengganu

One of the fond memories of my childhood in Malaysia is the luxury of enjoying the abundant of cheap street food available everywhere. I have a lot of favorites but the one that stood out is Keropok Lekor Terengganu. Keropok Lekor is a famous northern Malay snack. There were a few famous proprietors making this snack in the state of Terengganu. However, the snack has gotten so popular that it inspired tons of small business entrepreneurs in Kuala Lumpur to start making this delicacy. 

The one food I missed the most, having lived outside of Malaysia is Keropok Lekor. It took me years to finally tried making this snack at home. Maybe it is the illusion that something so traditional could not be replicate so easily at home, but try I must. As I did not have any fish on hand, I tried making the traditional fish crackers using canned tuna fish. I have to say, the result was encouraging despite not having fresh chopped fish meat to work with. The Keropok Lekor came out great. I was so excited when it was ready for tasting. I finally succeeded in making the one food I missed the most all these years.

It is definitely worth trying to make this dish again using raw chopped fish instead. I am really confident that the result will be amazing once I get my hands on fresh fishes to work with.

Asian Fried Fish Chips (Keropok Lekor Terengganu)
(Adapted from Periuk Tanah)
Ingredients
2  5.5oz can tuna in water, drained well
5 oz sago starch (replace with 3 oz tapioca starch and 2 oz all purpose flour)
1/2 tsp salt
A few tablespoon of iced cold water
3 cups of cooking oil

Directions
Step 1: Place tuna in a food processor.

Step 2: Pulverize till fine.

Step 3: Add in sago starch, salt and water to form a dough.

Step 4: Empty contents into a bowl. The dough should be firm enough to mold. Add more sago starch if needed to achieve the consistency.

Step 5: Place about 2 tablespoon of dough in your hand.

Step 6: Mold into a cylindrical shape.

Step 7: Bring a pot of water to boil. Place a few dough into the water. Cook till the dough floats onto the surface.

Step 8: Using a slotted spoon, remove dough onto a plate lined with paper towel.

Step 9: Spray some cooking oil onto the dough immediately to avoid dough from sticking. Slice dough into 2-inch long.

Step 10: Heat 3 cups of oil in a pot or fryer till it reaches 350F or 176C. Fry till the dough is crispy on the outside, about 6-8 minutes.

Step 11: Served keropok lekor warm with a side of sweet chilli sauce or tabasco.

A new Lenten specials in your home from now on?????

No comments:

Post a Comment