Friday, May 13, 2011

Maple Glazed Bacon Yeast Doughnut - The Man-ly Man Cake

I am not a huge fan of doughnuts or donuts, however way you like to spell it. The reason why is they do not make it as good as they used to. I remember donuts from my childhood. The light, yeasty and fluffy fried dough rolled in sugar or glazed instead of the heavily laden ones that they called donuts now.

And nope, I don't buy the idea of cake doughnut at all. Why do I end up making doughnut this week, well, it will be John's birthday this weekend, a very close family friend. After contemplating with the right choice of cake to bake for him, I've decided to throw all cake ideas out the window. I know he loves bacon, who doesn't? It will be a little too odd to incorporate bacon into a cake. Maybe not for some people but definitely me. The next best thing is to make him Maple Glazed Bacon Yeast Doughnuts. After all, the concoction is pretty popular in the West Coast and we have yet to find any of those in the East shore.

So I made a batch yesterday, just to see if the recipe I found online works. Pretty interesting looking, that was my initial thought when these doughnuts came out. Jamie was the first to try and he said the doughnuts are out of this world. I took a bite of the doughnut and he was right. The idea may sound odd but seriously, give this a try. You will not regret it. I love the light yeasty doughnut, the contrast between the sweet maple glaze and salty crispy crumbled bacon. Jamie pronounces it heavenly!

Of course there were doughnut holes and scraps left. What do you do if you don't feel like wasting them? Make it into jelly filled doughnut holes, of course!

This is what I ended up with yesterday: Maple Glazed Bacon Doughnuts, Plain, Powdered and Jelly-filled doughnut holes. Let them eat doughnuts!


No comments:

Post a Comment