Monday, March 19, 2012

Ecuadorian Carne Colorado

When did I start having an interest in Ecuadorian cuisine? Ever since I found this blog . She is an amazing cook and all the dishes she made is really easy to execute. No, I have never tasted Ecuadorian food before but her recipes are so simple to emulate, it makes me want to try more. I have had great results making empanadas, arroz con pollo, and most recently this carne colorado recipes. They are all delicious.
Carne Colorado
(Recipe Adapted from Laylita's Recipe)
Ingredients
2lb beef (I used London Broil cos that is what I have. Chuck or top round will be perfect for this)
1 large onion
6 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground achiote or annato
1/2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
1/2 Cup of beer
2 tsp salt or more, to taste
3 Tbsp of oil, butter or lard

Methods
1. In a blender, add in the beer, onion and garlic. Process until it turns to puree. Add in the cumin, achiote, and oregano. Process to combine.
2. Cut up the meat to large chunks and place in a ziplock bag.
3. Add in the marinade ingredients to the meat. Leave to marinade overnight or at least 3 hours.
4. In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat. I did not add any oil in mine at all. Add meat and marinade mix into pot. Let the content comes up to boil.
5. Turn heat down to simmer and let the meat braised for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You will see a lot of liquid coming out from the meat. Stir occasionally.
6. Once you see the oil emerges on the surface, the meat is close to done. Stir content more frequently at this point as the liquid will dry up really quick. It takes another 20 minutes at this point. Adjust seasoning. The recipe did not call for sugar but I added about 1 1/2 Tbsp of sugar in it as I find the stew a little sourish from the lime juice.
7. Once the liquid is all dried up, dish the beef out and serve. The meat is super tender and extremely flavorful.
8. I served my carne colorado with yellow rice, and onion-cucumber pickles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment