Thursday, February 23, 2012

Char Siew - Chinese BBQ Pork

I make this recipe quite a bit, mostly for the filling of my Chinese-style baked goods. It has not occur to me to post the recipe for this till now. It's a combination of recipes I found on the few food blogs and through trial and error.
It is actually very easy to make your own Char Siew at home and eat them as is or if you are into baking like I am, use the roast pork as a filling for a lot of baked goodies. My family loves it and I hope you will enjoy it too.


Char Siew- Chinese BBQ Pork
Ingredients
2 lb pork (I use boneless pork chops but the belly cut or pork butt will yield better results)
Note: As a rule of thumb, I always brine all the meat before using. I find that the meat stays tender, moist, and juicy even after long hour of baking.

Marinade
5 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
3 Tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine or Rose Wine
2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 2/3 cup sugar (I like mine sweet, you can reduce it to a cup)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp 5 spice powder
A Few Drops of Red Food Coloring, if you prefer


1. In a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients.

2. Place pork in the marinade and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.

3. Preheat the oven to 400F.
4. Line a baking pan with heavy duty foil. You really want to do this to avoid the messy clean up.
5. Place pork and all the marinade into the pan. Bake 30 minutes and turn the pork chops over.

6. Bake for an additional 30 minutes till sauce begins to thicken. Remove from oven.
7. Turn broiler on to low.
8. Prepare a baking sheet lined with foil. Place a wire rack, lightly coat with baking spray onto the baking sheet.
9. Place pork on wire rack and place under broiler. Broil till the pork is lightly charred. Serve with the remaining sauce or use as a filling for savory baked goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment