Saturday, June 11, 2011

Grandma's Chinese Rice Dumpling - Bak Chang

I finally did what I thought was impossible until today, making bak chang or Chinese rice dumpling for the first time ever. The result was great although I had a 6 hour battle with the bamboo leaves wrapper for the sticky rice. Halfway through it, I wondered why can't I just go to a store in Chinatown and buy the ready made ones? As soon as I tasted the result, I can honestly said that it is so worth the 6 hours fight with the bamboo wrappers.

I was trying to replicate the dumpling made by my late grandma years ago. Honestly, her bak chang is the best. Then again, everyone will said that their grandma's version is the best! Since this is my blog, my grandma's win, hands down! No, I did not get the recipe from my grandma. However, I know I can always count on Aunt Lily's blog to post a bak chang recipe that I was looking for. And she did! Thanks, Aunt Lily!

My grandma's version used regular sticky rice, with no dark soy sauce added to the rice, unlike the ones at the store. She used green beans, pork, salted egg yolks and mushrooms for the filling. No black eyed peas, chestnut, chinese sausage or other ingredients in it. To find a version as plain as my grandma's rice dumpling is almost impossible. Yeah, there is definitely room for improvement as my dumpling wrapping skill is pretty bad. Still, the rice dumpling comes out, oh so yummy!

 

Grandma's Chinese Rice Dumpling
(Adapted from Lily Wai Sek Hong)
Makes about 30-35

Ingredients:
1000g glutinous rice, soaked overnight then drained, add 2 tsp salt and 1/4 cup oil.
Bamboo leaves and kitchen twine for wrapping (Soaked bamboo leaves overnight in boiling water)

Filling:

400g pork or deboned chicken meat

16 salted egg yolks, halved
150g dried mushrooms
400 g split green peas - soak overnight, drain , add 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp 5 spice powder and 3 tbsp of oil.

Seasoning:

For the Pork:

1 tbsp Chinese Five Spice powder
1 tbsp of light soya sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp rice wine
2-3 tbsp oil

For the mushrooms:

1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp oil


Directions


Step 1: Soaked rice, green peas and bamboo leaves overnight. The next day, prepare the rice, pork, green peas and bamboo leaves as stated above.

Step 2: Have the work station ready. I have no picture for you on how to wrap the dumpling as I am a novice too. Refer to this video for guide.

Step 3: Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add 2 tsp of salt into the water. Boil dumplings for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or till cooked.

Step 4: Dish rice dumpling out of the pot onto a baking sheet lined with wire rack. Let the dumplings dripped dry before serving.

Removed wrapper and serve rice dumpling as is or with a dab of soy sauce and/or hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment