Sunday, January 23, 2011

Semi-healthy New England Style Sweet Potato Pie


Blame it on the weather or something else but I have been having this really bad craving for sweet potato pie. I wasn't quite sure of what type of sweet potato pie I want to make. Do I want to try making a southern style sweet potato pie or something lighter.

There is nothing wrong with a southern style sweet potato pie except for the amount of sugar, butter and condensed milk that is in it. Now, I really want a pie that is just sweet enough and light. Pie shouldn't be a forbidden food. If done right, I am pretty sure it is alright to eat pie at least once a month. *Fingers crossed*

The next thing to decide on is whether to make my own filing or buy a canned pie filing from the store.
Now, if you are like me, penny pinchers out there, a pound of sweet potato is $0.69 while a 15oz can of sweet potato is $1.39. Well, I'll let you do the math.




After a split second deliberation,  ta-daaaaaaaa. Making my own filing after all. It is relatively simple. Preheat the oven to 400F. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet covered with foil. Let it roast in the oven for 1 hour till it is fork tender. When cool enough to handle, peel of the skin and mashed the sweet potatoes.

Now back to the filing. I want a sweet potato pie which is sweet enough yet light cos I don't want to feel guilty for indulging my sweet tooth. After reading through a few recipes, I decided to make my own New England Style Sweet Potato Pie, if there is such a thing. The premise is simple. Use a New England Squash Pie recipe, and substitute it with sweet potato. It might work.




The filing taste good. The texture is a little stringy because of the sweet potato. Still good.


Pie Crust from Mom's Pie Crust Recipe




Ta-daaaaaaaaa. My New England Style Sweet Potato Pie



New England Style Sweet Potato Pie
1 9-inch pie crust (Recipe will be posted next)
15 oz sweet potato filing ( homemade or store bought)
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of ginger
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 1/2 cup of milk
2 eggs, well beaten

1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Mix all filing ingredients together till well combined.
3. Place pie pan on top of a cookie sheet.
4. Once oven is ready, pour filing into pie crust. Bake at 425F for 20 minutes.
5. After the 20 minutes, turn temperature down to 375F. Bake for another 45 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let cool.
7. Once pie has cool to room temperature, refrigerate in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
8. Serve as is or with a dallop of whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment