Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Homemade Silver Needle Noodle aka Lou Shu Fun

I forgot which famous figure once said invention comes out of desperation or something to the tune of improvisation comes out of desperation but recently, I find that saying is true. Just the other day when I thought of something to do which will fulfill my target of "Doing Something For the First Time" (more about that some other time), I came across this blog page which I have bookmarked for ages now.

An hour and a half later, this is what happened.
Now, if you live in Asia where you can get this noodle anytime you want, you really have no purpose making this at home. I will advise you not to cos it is very time consuming and all you get out of this is a cup of the noodle. However, since I do not live in Asia anymore and I can't for the life of me find this in the Asian grocery I frequent, that will have to do.

To reward myself for all the hard work, perseverance, and that moment of adding another item to my first time list, I make myself a delicious bowl of minced meat silver thread noodle, of course. Who wouldn't? Honestly, the end result is so good that I don't think I will mind making this again in....say......next year?

Silver Needle Noodle (Adapted from Do What I Like)
Ingredients:
140g wheat starch
60g tapioca starch
pinch of salt
170ml boiling hot water
2 tsp olive oil

Method:
1. Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Add in the boiling hot water and stir with a pair of chopsticks. Cover with a wet towel and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Add in the olive oil and knead till you get a smooth dough.
3. Roll into two log-shaped pieces and cut them into small pieces about 3g each. Shape dough with your hands.

4. Put some oil into a big pot of hot water and cook the noodle till transparent.

5. Once the noodle is cooked, drain and put them into a mixing bowl, add one teaspoon of olive and toss the noodle around (to prevent them from sticking to each other). The noodles turn transparent after rinsing in cold water. I'd say you should probably boil it for at least 10 minutes before draining the noodles and rinse it under cold running water. Remember to stir the noodles while boiling to avoid them from turning into a hot boiling glue in the water.
6. Chilled overnight before using.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!!
    I had this at Yamcha restaurant in Vancouver. It's really hard to find a place that, serves this noodle! Didn't even know its name, until now.
    Now that I live away from Vancouver, yamcha dishes I can have in my town are so limited!!

    I'm going to try to make it! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe!...but for some reason using those measurements I got liquid. I ended up having to make a new batch and pour in the water slowly until it was doughy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sorry to hear that, but cooking is an adventure all in itself. I did not encounter the problem myself but it is great that you mention this so other readers can take note. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    2. I tried again with a digital scale and the mixture was right - I think it was the wheat starch...the bag says 1 tbsp = 10 g but I don't think that is right. Hope this batch works! Thanks Reese!

      Delete