Monday, February 14, 2011

V-Day Flourless Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Happy Valentine's Day!

What is Valentine's Day without chocolate, sweets and fried chicken. Yeap, fried chicken. My husband and I have an agreement, rather I have an agreement with myself. I absolutely love fried chicken, Popeye's to be precise. However, it is one of those indulgent food that I allowed myself twice a year. V-Day and my birthday! Which is great. I can eat fried chicken more often than that but frankly, I don't need it.

Not that I will want to make fried chicken at home, just because, I don't want to.



V-Day cookies on the other hand is something that I love making. Any reasons I have to bake. For the special day, I absolutely agree that the baking has to be something extremely indulgence. I chance upon these chocolate cookies a year ago on the Sunday Globe special edition. It is flourless, which is good news, and it uses only powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and egg whites to hold it together.

The baking part is a little tricky as you will need to ensure that it comes out looking glossy and cracked. Overbake it a little too much, and it will dry out while underbaking it will result in a flat cookie. The trick is to pull them out as soon as it has that glossy sheen and lightly cracked.

Give this recipe a try. The chocolate in this cookies are so profound that it redefines the phrase "Death by Chocolate."

Chewy Flourless Chocolate Cookies
(Adapted from Sunday Globe)

Ingredients

1 3/4 Cup powdered sugar
1/2 Cup of Dutch Cocoa Powder
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg whites
1 cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

Step 1: Preheat oven to 300F or 148C

 Step 2: Mix all the dry ingredients together



Step 3: Make a well in the center. Pour the egg whites in the middle.

Step 4: Mix well with a spatula or spoon till mixture comes together to form a dough. If you are using chopped walnuts, add in the walnuts now and mix into dough.
Step 5: Scoop a tablespoon of cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. The recipes make 15-18 cookies.

Step 6: Bake for 16 to 19 minutes, depending on the size and oven temperature. As I only make 15 of these cookies, I have to bake them for about 18 minutes to get the glossy sheen and slightly cracked cookies. Cool on a wire rack and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment